Wednesday, March 14, 2007


This is my favorite picture right now. The shape at the front of the car is a woman wearing a large hooded jacket. She's sleeping so her head is down. For a second I considered making loud insane noises before taking the picture in hopes that she would lift up her head and make a more interesting picture. Unfortunately, I ended up with a woman that looks more like a large sleeping bag or grocery bag.

I took this picture as part of an exercise for my photography class where we were supposed to mess around with aperture settings and depth of field. If you look at the seats immediately in front of the camera you'll see that they are relatively in focus. At the same time, the parts of the train car farther away from the camera are also in focus. I think this picture worked well because the bright natural light coming through the windows allowed me to also use a relatively fast shutter speed so the outside of the train, which is moving fast past the camera, also apperas somewhat clear.

This is my second train picture. The same lady is still asleep in the front of the car. I took it once the train had gone into a tunnel. I like the effect of the train lights in the train and the effect that they create as they travel through the depth of the picture. In order to get a good exposure on this picture I had to use a slower shutter speed and a larger aperture setting (no natural light). As a result, the seats closer to the camera appear a little bit blurrier and out of focus. I feel like this picture is less effective than the day picture because I focused on the lady in front of me but her image is not all that attractive or attention-grabbing. The blurry seats in front of the camera make it look like I'm not really focusing on anything at all - there isn't any strong image to catch the eye. The night/dark effect is nice though.

No comments: